Friday, July 28, 2006

365 Days

365 days ago, I checked myself into treatment or, as one old geezer member of my 12 step group insists I should call it, rehab. This means, that I've been clean and sober for a year now which, considering that virtually every day from the time I was 14 until a year ago I was in some way chemically altered (that's almost 30 years folks), is truly remarkable. In this last year, there has amazingly only been one time when I had a strong desire to alter the way I felt with chemicals and that was brief and very quickly dealt with.

My life has improved dramatically in so many ways. I'm reconnecting with family while, at the same time, limiting any contact that would threaten my stability. I'm also reconnecting with some old friends while other old friends have faded into the proverbial woodwork. My romantic life actually is humming right along as I've discovered that some guys actually find my being clear and present is attractive. Wow! My health and physical fitness are at a peak. My job with the insurance company, while at times frustrating, is solid and provides a good income and excellent benefits. More often than not, I'm having a good day and because I am truly grateful for all that I have, I feel much joy.

Life is good and I'm moving on.

2 comments:

Cathie said...

Congratulations!! 1 yr - yay.

Velvetsaje said...

Congrats!! I should have read this sooner!