Saturday, October 07, 2006

If The Polls Look So Good, Why Am I So Uneasy?


Here we are 4 weeks from the Congressional midterm elections and the news is awash with the Florida, closeted Congressman who was sending, as White House Press Secretary Snow called them , "naughty" messages and has since resigned leaving the Republican leadership to begin forming firing squads of a circular nature. While this is all amusing in many ways, given the fact that the Congressman in question was the leading proponent of protecting minors from online adult predators (could Hollywood writers have made anything like this up?), it's also rather sickening to watch the right wing spin meisters begin to drag out the Clinton/Lewinsky tapes (ummm, she was over the age of 18 folks) and hear them begin to characterize the exchanges as "overlyfriendly" as Speaker Hastert initially said. I guess you could call questions like "did you spank it this weekend.." overlyfriendly but even as good a friend as I can be, I don't usually ask my buds this.

It seems that, at least in terms of the polls, most Americans (even some Republicans) are finally getting just how out of touch, corrupt, inept and devious the leaders of the Republican Party are. Iraq, congressional pages, deficits, Social Security, Abu Ghraib, Plamegate, Abramoff, Halliburton, the Vice President's energy "task" force, Tom Delay, Guantanamo Bay, signing statements (134 and counting), Katrina, Medicare Drug Program, Afghanistan, domestic wiretapping, the list just goes on and on.

Polls look good and public opinion seems to be changing. But I put nothing past the people in power right now. Nothing. Be it a "terror attack", finally catching Osama bin Laden or some other headline grabbing, fear inducing incident or just plain old election fraud, I have a deep, well founded suspicion that the fear mongers in charge will pull out all stops to maintain power.

And if yet another election in this supposed democracy is stolen, then what?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right to be nervous. Kerry was winning according to the polls on the morning of the last Presidential election. Hopefully because of the Foley scandal all the Republicans will stay home and not vote. Or maybe Osama will be found 2 days before the election and they'll all rush out to vote to "keep us safe". I don't trust Mr Rove et al at all. I can't wait to see what happens here in VA with the Webb/Allen contest. Webb has managed to raise 3.5 million since the whole macacca incident with Allen, which is a really good sign.