
I had the pleasure of meeting Lady Bird Johnson 3 times over the years. Twice in Fredericksburg at the Episcopal Church during holiday services and once about 8 years ago when I was working part time for a catering company and waited on her table during a private party. The times in Fredericksburg I was more amazed than anything else. I'd never been able to shake hands with anyone who'd lived in the White House. It was a cool thing.
Even cooler was waiting on her at the private dinner. It was a small affair, maybe 7 or 8 tables of 8 and I was lucky enough to take care of her table. Seated next to her was Liz Carpenter, well known writer, feminist and her former press secretary. The dinner was held under the stars at a ranch just outside of Austin and it was a pleasant evening...must not have been summer as I don't recall it being typically hot.
Wine was served at the dinner and I recall Ms. Johnson having a glass before dinner and one with dinner. As she got towards the bottom of the glass and the end of her meal, I came around with the bottle and asked if she'd care for more wine. "No dear, I don't think I will" she replied. I grinned and said, "Well Mrs. Johnson, I hear that studies have shown red wine is good for the heart." She patted the back of my hand, grinned and said, "Honey, when you're my age your heart just has to look out for itself."
It was a memorable experience.
Even cooler was waiting on her at the private dinner. It was a small affair, maybe 7 or 8 tables of 8 and I was lucky enough to take care of her table. Seated next to her was Liz Carpenter, well known writer, feminist and her former press secretary. The dinner was held under the stars at a ranch just outside of Austin and it was a pleasant evening...must not have been summer as I don't recall it being typically hot.
Wine was served at the dinner and I recall Ms. Johnson having a glass before dinner and one with dinner. As she got towards the bottom of the glass and the end of her meal, I came around with the bottle and asked if she'd care for more wine. "No dear, I don't think I will" she replied. I grinned and said, "Well Mrs. Johnson, I hear that studies have shown red wine is good for the heart." She patted the back of my hand, grinned and said, "Honey, when you're my age your heart just has to look out for itself."
It was a memorable experience.

1 comment:
I love it that you met her!!! And she sounds very nice!!
Post a Comment